Busting Lighting Myths

There are a number of common misconceptions about lighting from warehouses to hospitals and Lumax Lighting is here to break them! By believing these ‘Lighting Myths,’ you are risking bad purchases and poor quality lighting for any industrial and commercial project. Let’s explore these lighting myths and what the true story is.

Fluorescent Lights Consume a Large Amount of Energy

This is a very common myth. It is widely believed that fluorescent lights should rarely be switched off because they need more energy to start than you can save by turning it off, but this is not true. Even though fluorescent lights may use up to 300 % more power to start, it only takes them 3 milliseconds for this task. Also, by turning fluorescent lights off you reduce lamp replacement costs and your electric bills according to the Electric Power Research Institute.

Low Voltage Means Efficiency

Also, a very common myth. Low voltage incandescent lamps are not as energy efficient as people think they are. This myth should be busted because their filament runs at higher current and, therefore, low voltage lights run hotter. Low voltage lamps are somewhat more efficient than mains voltage incandescent lamps but they also need a transformer which has a power loss, especially magnetic transformers.

Incandescent Lights Cannot Cause a Fire

Perhaps the most dangerous lighting myth; incandescent lights can be a fire hazard. Under normal circumstances, bulbs have good air circulation. In these conditions, a typical 60 watt bulb will not overheat (not over 175 degrees Fahrenheit), but if air circulation is poor, or if your lamp is in contact with an insulator, your incandescent light bulb will reach temperatures between 290-500 degrees Fahrenheit. These high temperatures can ignite everything close to the lamps and cause a fire hazard. Wiring rules have dealt with this issue by requiring space around the lamps, especially flammable materials, but dangerous situations still do exist

Broken Fluorescent Lights Are Toxic

In order to really poison yourself with broken fluorescent light, many bulbs would have to break on a daily basis on your shop floor, retail store, or other industrial or commercial facility. CFLs do contain small amounts of mercury: up to 5 mg. To make this more clear, the same amount of mercury that would cover a tip of a pen. Also, high quality lamps usually have lower levels of mercury than the other, cheaper lamps. If a light does break, do not panic. Ventilate the space and carefully pick up the broken parts.

CFLs Emit Only Harsh Light

CFL technology has grown leaps and bounds. The truth is fluorescent lights are available in many color temperatures, from warm white to daylight colors, more suitable for commercial buildings and spaces. CFL lights are available over a wide range of Kelvin temperatures providing light for many commercial and industrial applications.